First, measure all your windows both horizontal and vertical. Then add that all up and figure out how many feet you’ll need of the material. I like the 4 foot by 25 foot roll. That should cover all the windows installed in most RVs. You’ll also need a roll of DUCT tape. Yes, I know there’s a brand of duct tape called “Duck” tape, but really…it’s for DUCTwork. The kind used to move air around for heating and cooling. For some reason, somewhere along the line, it became simply duck tape. Anyway, by some…any brand is OK. I liked the standard silver/gray color as it comes close to the gray used on my interior. This stuff will be used to create a border around each cut piece of insulation. It will also slightly stiffen the edges so you get a good fit and they will hold themselves up.
|Long Cut Piece for The Over the Table Window|
Now that you’ve measured, cut the pieces for each window. If you get lucky (or a are a REALLY great planner!) you can maximize the use of the roll and get it done without much waste. Maybe you…not me!
|Cut Rounded Edge|
Now, depending on the style of windows you have, you’ll likely need to trim the corners. Mine were rounded. I made a template with a piece of cardboard (an old shoe box lid, to be exact) and then used that to cut each corner. I didn’t confirm that all the corners matched, but I am SURE you will beforehand. Right? The cutting was done using those nifty “miracle” scissors. the kind EMS/Ambulance workers carry. I once cut a penny in half with one! Amazing. Oh, don’t try that at home. The Federal Government gets mad when you butcher money, even small change.
Once they are all cut, begin taping the edges. I rolled the tape out on the table and had a friend hold it down while we placed each edge HALFWAY onto the tape. Then pressed it down and folded over the remaining tape to make a sealed edge. Once all four sides of each one where done we moved on to the corners. Not so easy. I know you’re supposed to cut some slits on either side so it will overlap evenly. For the life of me I couldn’t get a single corner right. I just overlay-ed some additional tape for each corner. I made them a bit heavier and figured it would be a bit thicker so they will hold on to the window frame edges better. Seemed like that should work.
Once complete, you’ll have great window insulators that are easy to store, can be folded AND fit nicely on each of YOUR windows. All this, for a lot less money than a custom set would cost. I believe these should last a long time. They are inside and flexible enough to take some abuse. Having a bit of duct tape on hand for repairs (if needed) would probably be a good idea.
While all of this was out on the table I figured I would cut some square pieces to put under the Velcro tabbed roof vent covers. They’re only cloth, and I can see sunlight through them. You could also feel the heat coming in AND it was beginning to fade a bit in a circular pattern to match the fan opening.
I cut one for the front and one for the back.
After two days in the sun in 93 degree temperatures, my interior never got above 88 degrees. All WITHOUT a fan running. Color me impressed.
I have to say, they look pretty cool from the outside as well. Very “Science Fiction-ny.” The only downside I have found is that it is REALLY dark when I go inside when they are all installed. I guess that’s what they’re supposed to do, so I cannot be surprised!
I took a few photos of them from the outside. All in all this was a good modification /upgrade that serves a useful purpose and looks pretty cool. Well, at least to me it does! It WILL protect your interior from heat and harmful UV radiation from the sun. No one likes a faded interior.